From: Kevlin Henney (Kevlin.Henney_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-04 17:24:47

>> Second, comments are often carefully formatted under the assumption
>> that a mono-space font will be used. Use of Arial,Helvetica screws
>> up this assumption, resulting in less than optimal display.
>>
>Are you sure?
>I like this style a lot because it looks really different
>and it takes less space than mono-spaced font.
>How think the others about it?
>What should be default?

Hmm, I guess I'm something of a traditionalist when it comes to this: fixed
width fonts just seem to consistently cause fewer problems... and besides,
<ignite>the code just looks _right_, if you know what I mean</ignite> ;->.

But seriously, I'm not really convinced by real estate savings when other
more fundamental issues seem to interfere with readability, such as the raw
deal that narrow letters such as 'i' and 'l' get, and the fact that many
comments and much indentation is based on fixed space assumptions.

As fixed width is the default on probably the majority of editors, command
lines, etc that programmers use, that seems to make a case for making it
the default for the tool.

Kevlin