From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-08 07:55:57

First of all an apology to anyone waiting on my port of regex++ to boost -
I've become rather sidetracked and have been looking at pattern matching in
general - with the aim of producing a more consistent, robust and versatile
interface. The result of this is a proposal which I've placed in the
document vault at: http://www.egroups.com/docvault/boost/pattern_matching.

There are two parts: a document which describes the ideas, and some sample
classes: knuth_morris_pratt and boyer_moore which encapsulate their
respective algorithms and illustrate the ideas in action.

The proposed regular expression interface is not yet implemented (I wanted
some feedback before proceeding any further down this road), but is based
on a three way separation between the locale, the grammar and the
state-machine - the idea being that each part of these is both "reusable"
and "replaceable".

Anyway, I look forward to any feedback you can give,

Thanks in advance,

John Maddock.