From: Moore, Paul (Paul.Moore_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-10 08:16:31

From: Dave Abrahams [mailto:abrahams_at_[hidden]]

> The distinction of case-sensitivity, while useful, opens up a
> whole can of worms. For example, what about diacritical marks? Often,
> they should be ignored. I don't know what other language/alphabet-
> dependent features might exist out there...

Agreed, but let's not miss the genuine, and simple, requirement to look for
the word "banana" regardless of case. Don't kill this by overengineering.

Paul.

PS Recent threads here have reminded me of the Perl design philosophy "make
simple things easy, and hard things possible". Missing the first goal is as
bad as missing the second (possibly even worse!)