From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-12 10:02:14

At 08:11 PM 1/11/00 -0500, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>> In any case, in light of Ross Smith's comments about file
extensions in an
>> earlier message, maybe the REAL solution here is to simply drop
the
>> get<user_execute> function altogether from the Windows version of
the code.
>> Dietmar has already chosen to omit set<user_execute>,
get/set<group_execute>,
>> and get/set<other_execute>, because those simply don't make sense
on Windows.

>I'm not so sure... I once received an "executable" built for windows
that
>lacked the ".exe" extension. To actually run it, I had to change the
file
>name ;)

There may have been some changes in behavior between versions. IIRC,
one thing that gets changed if you install IE (and probably some
other MS software) is that entering a filename at the command line
fires off the program associated with that filename. So if you enter
"foo.html", your default browser gets invoked on the file foo.html.
This works within programs, too, and I use it inside a VC++ addin I
wrote to invoke the browser on URL's in comment lines. So the
definition of executable file blurs even further.

--Beman