From: jorg.schaible_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-01-25 04:59:47

Hi Ray,

basically it seems a good idea. But this seems to be very similar to a XML file
- just another format. If you design such property classes you may consider such
a generic interface that it would be easy to extend the classes for a XML
version (thinking at the concept of the I/O streams).

Regards
Jörg

Hi Dietmar,

Yup, exactly. About the hierarchical properties, I guess it depends on how we
look at it, doesn't it? I think it's a bit like Java package, i.e.: packages
that seem to be in a hierarchy--as far as Java is concerned--are not actually
related to each other. The relation between them is in the programmer's mind
(well, and in the directory structure as well, for this matter).

Is there something about hierarchical properties that I missed out? Are there
relations between them other than those I'm aware of? As far as the properties
file and the parser class are concerned, a property under another property is
just yet another property, right?

Kinda like this class, very simple, no magic, no esoteric stuff, but useful
nevertheless (at least for me so far ;o) ). Of course, you can always extend
this class to provide registry access...

Regards,
Ray

Hi,
At 06:54 AM 1/24/00 -0500, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>Er, what's a property file? I use Mac/Win/Linux and have never heard of
> one. One emergent standard seems to be .ini files...

Property files are used with Java. The format is basically sequence
of assignments to names, eg.:

  name = Dietmar
  dietmar.workinggroup = library

Basically the first line associates the property "name" with the value
"Dietmar". The next line does basically the same, although it looks more
hierarchical. I'm not sure whether the Java interface provides hierarchical
access to properties but this is useful in some situations.

It is no magic but quite useful. For example, this can be used easily to
obtain parameter where to look things up, where to put log files, etc.

Regards,
  dk

For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from
anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here for a chance to win a
digital camera.
http://click.egroups.com/1/337/1/_/9351/_/948769371/

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=boost&m=1