From: Gavin Collings (gcollings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-30 10:46:18

"greg colvin" <gcolvi-_at_[hidden]> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/boost/?start=1991

> Could you send us the results in some non-proprietary format -- I
don't have
> Excel and don't want to buy it.

Yes, sorry about that. I really added it as an afterthought in case
any one wanted to play around with the numbers. I should have included
the full results in text form though, so here they are (in ns per op).
They broadly agree with other tests posted since. Each copy operation
was, on average, half an assignment and half a copy construction.

                               Shared Linked
   Initial Construction 2900 +/- 70 -30 +/- 50
   Copy Operation 62 +/- 13 119 +/- 9

Then the figure 2900 / (119 - 62) = 50 (or worst case 22 at the
extremes of the error bands) gives the number of copy operations needed
before the increased copy time for linked pointer outweighs the initial
overhead of allocating the reference count on the heap.

--
Gavin Collings
gcollings_at_[hidden]