From: jorg.schaible_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-01-31 12:25:59

Hi Nico (and all others),

sorry for not posting any additional help to use the test unit. Here come some
additional information.

Basic idea is to support a developer with classes that allow him to write test
cases. A test case should ensure the functionality of his "code unit" and can be
used to ensure it at any time again. The test performs white box testing i.e.
the developer should test all functionality of his unit and ensure the proper
results.

A test case can be written by deriving a class from TestCase. A test case
contains the complete functionality to test the interface of the code unit, each
single test is performed by a separate member function (that starts by convetion
with "test", since Java is able to collect functions of a class by name). Each
instance of the derived test case is able to run one of these test functions. By
providing the c'tor of TestCase with the name of the single test (by convention
the name of the test function) and the address of the member function you may
call the run method to execute the test. Several test case instances can be
collected in the class TestSuite. Such an instance should be created by the
static function "suite" each derived test case should provide.

The test functions uses the assert(ion) functions of the base class Assert of
TestCase to ensure the proper result of the functionality. If the test fails
these assert functions will generate a proper message string and raise an
AssertionFailedError. An instance of the TestResult class (used as argument for
TestCase::run) will collect these exceptions and count them as failures. Other
exceptions will be counted as errors.

The class TestRunner is used to automate this process. It has functions to
register several test suites, create a test result object, and run the tests of
the suite. The TextTestResult is used to show the progress of the tests on the
command line, is able to present the results, and will return an overall status.
The developer just has to create a TestRunner instance, create and add all
suites and run the tests. Normally this will be done in main.

Provided files:
testunit.hpp - Contains the complete code of core system of the JUnit port. Is
located in boost directory.
SimpleTest.hpp and SimpleTest.cpp - Contains the test case and suite for a
simple test of adding double values.
AllTests.cpp - Contains the main function of a test application.

To build the application compile and link the cpp's together. The resulting
application can be started with argument "-all" to start all tests or use
individual test names as arguments.

HTML reference documentation can be generated form the testunit.hpp by using
Doxygen (http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/snapshot.html).

Greetings,
Jörg

P.S. for Nico: Nun ja, klingt wirklich verdächtig deutsch <g>. Ich komme aus
Villingen-Schwenningen (letzteres) im süddeutschen Raum, allgemein bekannt
höchstens durch das Eishockey (Wild Wings) oder Martin Schmitt, den Überflieger
im Skispringen.