From: Darin Adler (darin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-02-10 14:50:36

Mark Borgerding:
> Any shortcomings besides the misuse example in bar() above?

It's a nice implementation, but I'm not sure it's better than the ones I
presented. Here are a few shortcomings I noticed right away.

If used in a class definition, it doesn't give an error message on the line
where the assertion fails. It doesn't fail at all unless an object of the
class is instantiated (fails requirements R1, 5, 8, 9).

It can affect structure padding if used between elements in a structure as
discussed on Jay's web page (fails requirement 2).

The error message from my compiler is "illegal access to protected/private
member" (fails requirements 7, 9).

    -- Darin