From: Braden N. McDaniel (braden_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-02-23 23:08:02

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> on 2/23/00 5:38 PM, Jens Maurer at jmaurer_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
> >> GNU autoconf/automake/libtool cover a pretty broad range of platforms. Not
> >> Mac (though I think there's a good deal of hope for OS X support in the
> >> future), and Windows support is limited to Cygwin.
>
> FWIW, there is growing dissatisfaction with these tools, and a new effort
> <http://software-carpentry.codesourcery.com> has been established to replace
> them with tools written in Python, a language which is ported to all of the
> platforms we're targeting.

I think the dissatisfaction you speak of is quite justifiable, and I look
forward to seeing the output of this group. I'll certainly be keeping an
eye on them. However, I think Boost probably needs a solution before
they'll have one ready. As the $100k prize suggests, this is a pretty
tough nut to crack. In the meantime, autoconf/automake/libtool seem
like the best option.

--
Braden N. McDaniel
braden_at_[hidden]