From: Reid Sweatman (borderland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-02-27 11:10:58

Even though until recently VC++ 5.0 and 6.0 SP3 were my main compilers, and
I still have to do contract work using them, I tend to agree with this
statement. What I'd suggest is that the assert module be written ignoring
VC++, but so as to allow the necessary specializations to be added. Then,
anyone for who VC++ support is essential can supply the specializations.
That way, the members for whom it's a non-issue wouldn't have to mess with
it.

BTW, it was comments on this list that led me recently to switch to
CodeWarrior as a much more compliant compiler. I would have done KAI,
probably, save that its NT version lags its UNIX versions, and I develop
mostly for NT and 98.

If anyone cares, or believes it, a rep in MS's System Languages Division
told me that true template and namespace support was top of the list for the
next release. Of course, who knows when that'll be?