From: Gavin Collings (gcollings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-07 04:57:01

> Hmm...
> My colleague and I talked today, and I think we are agreed that it is
> much clearer what's going on if all field width and alignment
> specifications go in the format string. That is, the format string should
> give a picture of what the final output looks like. Imagine writing this:

There was some discussion a few months back on c.l.c++.m about this type of
thing. As the discussion seems to be headed in this direction anyway, it might
be worth giving Ron Natalie's streamprintf a look over. Last time I looked it
was at

   ftp://ftp.sensor.com/pub/ron/streamprintf.h
   ftp://ftp.sensor.com/pub/ron/streamprintf.cc

Gavin