From: Miki Jovanovic (miki_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-10 17:03:39

"borgerding, mark a." <marka-_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I had an idea today for a way to more easily write portable
networking code.

Hi Mark,

Good idea all around. If I remember correctly, someone else suggested a
very similar approach some time in the past. I can't seem to find that
post now. It would be nice to find it to compare notes and to recognize
effort.

The other approach used a set of classes for representing fixed size
variables (e.g. bin_endian_uint16, little_endian_int32 etc). But I like
your template approach better.

As a very small comment, in this particular case I would avoid default
initialising variables with 0. They should really be initialised by the
user. Empty constructor:

  big_endian() {}

would better mimic ordinal types.

I do think you could have structured your code better, but hey, I don't
remember anyone else commenting on style, so I won't nit-pick on it
either.

Please 'boost' your code into a boost namespace, before we suggest it
to be added into the library.

Cheers,

Miki.