From: Darin Adler (darin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-10 17:31:22

I have classes like this too.

Comments:

    1) It's possible to write an implementation that does not require a
LITTLE_ENDIAN_MACHINE #define to work properly by reading the data a byte at
a time. It might not be as efficient but it's more portable.

    2) I've also found it useful to have "non-aligned" numeric templates
that do the same thing but are made out of arrays of characters. This is
useful when I'm making structures to match data structures with alignment
characteristics different from the platform/compiler I'm using. I'll explain
further if this is not sufficiently clear.

    3) I see no reason to omit the other assignment operators like +=, -=,
++, and --. In a library for myself I might not bother, but for something
I'm sharing I'd like that.

    -- Darin