From: David Bien (davidbien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-04-20 04:05:48

> That work is not limited to undirected graphs. It isn't simple, but
lots of
> thought went into it. It really is worth understanding.
Are you referring to the boost section ?
I read and I think I understood the two files in the boost section
relating to graphs. "graph_structure.hpp" seems to address the names
of iterator types, and declare an adjacency iterator.
"property_accessor.html" is some type of generic property
accessing/modifying templates, that I can't see how is particularly
related to graphs.
Then I see a list of algorthms and whether they apply to a
undirected, directed, or directed acyclic graphs. Now, I have to
admit that I don't know squat about any of those algorithms, so my
level of understanding there was probably pretty low.
The "ggcl" section seemed to contain an entire implementation of some
sort - but I have to admit that the lack of any documentation or
examples of its use limits my understanding of it. Certainly, I would
like to spend the months of coding time it would take to merge my
library with another, when I could be writing new code :-)

Anyway, I have a directed graph *implementation* - for which I
happened to define my own type names and interface names. This was
not meant as an affront to anyone associated with boost, I did not
even know about boost until about 5 days ago. This implementation
could be good for a number of things, like:
- 3d scene graph
- image composition graph
- NFA/DFA representation - say for a parser or lexical analyzer
- any number of other uses that a directed graph implemented in this
   manner might be useful for ( I'm sure many of you know better
   than me )
It is written to not maintain any internal state except for graph
structure - no node count, no link count, no flags, no properties,
etc. In this regard it is like most STL containers and most like an
STL list.

Anyway, I will get it out on anonomous FTP, but it has its own
namespace and stuff and probably currently only compiles on the
intel4.0 compiler - though, unless it breaks gcc ( always a
possibility ) it should compile on it with very little work.

Dave