From: Jens Maurer (jmaurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-04-25 16:26:38

At the request of Beman, I've now tested the random numbers
library with the free command-line compiler Borland C++ v5.5
and with MSVC 5.0sp3. As expected, MSVC 5.0sp3 fails all over.

However, Borland C++ isn't much better. In particular,
BCC seems to dislike boost/operators.hpp and the "derive
from template instantiated with the deriving class"
technique used there. I've confirmed that boost/rational.hpp
doesn't compile with BCC either. Did I miss any
non-obvious command-line switches?

Anyway, I've put an #error in random.hpp to prevent
compilation with BCC, and I suggest doing the same in
boost/operators.hpp until someone comes up with a work-around.

I have put up an updated random library in the boost vault
(at http://www.egroups.com/files/boost/random/),
which also hopefully fixes the problems Beman noted to me
in a private e-mail regarding MSVC6 and Metrowerks troubles.

Since I don't have access to any other compilers in the
foreseeable future, I shall leave it at that until someone
confirms that the code in the vault works with at least
MSVC6 or any other popular compiler except gcc 2.95.x.

Jens Maurer