From: Dave Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-04-30 12:34:55

on 4/30/00 11:22 AM, Jeffrey D. Paquette at paquette_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Ah, yes, I missed that! My intent was to prevent misuse-by-misunderstanding,
> but since those same programmers would slap a :: to new (since half of them
> do a global 'using namespace std;') and defeat the mechanism anyway.

I'm not sure that's actually true. You can write ::operator new, but then of
course you get no constructor. I'm fairly certain that member new and delete
take over when writing new <SomeClass>. I don't feel like looking this up in
the standard right now ;), but unless we hear otherwise I don't think you
should give up on the idea on this basis.

-Dave