From: jsiek_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-05-03 13:04:39

I think this is a very important issue, because reuse is very
important. That's the whole point of boost and writing libraries in
general. If you don't reuse boost, why should anyone else?
Anotherwords, I think the choice should always be to reuse, and never
duplicate.

However, this of course leads to the very real problem you mention of
tight coupling. And as more and more usefull libraries come on the
scene the problem will get worse and worse. You'll have multiple
layers of libraries: the dependecies will end up a pretty complicated
graph :)

What I'm currently doing for my libraries is just include a copy of
boost. However, this is not optimal because there's an issue of
keeping things up-to-date with boost releases.

What is needed is something like RPMs for C++ header files. We need a
system for automatically tracking and managing dependencies. When you
install a library, this automagic system should make sure all the
dependent libraries are installed or download and install them if they
are not there.

Cheers,

Jeremy