From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-04 14:31:21

At 09:45 PM 5/3/00 +0200, Daniel Heck wrote:

>I'm new to this mailing list and relatively to the STL. To get a
>little more acquainted with the STL I just wrote a POSIX style
command
>line parser (somewhat similar to getopt, but written in C++ and not
>reliant upon global variables). I thought it might be useful for
>other people, but I'm not quite sure whether or not such a library
>would be inside boost's scope or even desired...
>
>Well, anyhow... I appended the header file and a simple example
below;
>just tell me what you think.

Daniel,

There might well be boost interest in a command line parser, but I
doubt boost people will take your submission seriously until it is
recast following boost library guidelines
(http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm), including ownership,
namespaces, and at least a bit of initial documentation.

Remember that a lot of boost interest centers around the interface;
the implementation details are not so important. With templates that
intermingle interface and implementation, people look to the docs,
and when there are no docs they lose interest.

Again, there may well be interest in a command line parser, but you
are first going to have to present your design clearly.

Thanks you for sharing,

--Beman