From: Mark Rodgers (mark.rodgers_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-10 04:01:18

> Based on the discussions over the last several days, I have updated
> the web site, particularly http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm,
> and a new page http://www.boost.org/more/submission_process.htm

This new page contained an intriguing line.

  "Libraries are software; they loose their value over time if not
  maintained. Details still hazy."

This is area of haziness is of interest to me since I'm quite keen
to see some changes in one of the libraries, namely Nicolai Josuttis's
compose.hpp[1]. I could just modify it myself for my own use since
his copyright terms allow me to do that, but what if I want to see
those changes incorporated in the "official" version?

In general, should I propose any changes to the author personally,
post the suggestion to this list and hope (s)he is still active, or do
the active members effectively own the library and you (we??) will
maintain it in the actual owner's absence? Certainly this last option
is available for those libraries that do grant permission to "use,
modify, etc", so is this a clause that is desirable in a submission?

And what happens if I am the author of an accepted library and want
to release a new version? Does that go though the same submission
process as the original?

Mark

[1] The sort of changes I would like to see would be to do the same
things as I have done in my "improved" versions of the standard
adapters: use call_traits to avoid references to references and use
my function object traits in and endeavour to avoid the need for
ptr_fun.