From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-29 09:08:56

At 04:09 PM 5/28/00 -0400, you wrote:

>While I was out on my bike ride today I got to thinking about the
two boost
>challenges...

I was also thinking about the concept of challenges. I think they
are a good idea, and that Boost should have a Challenge page. That
let's people beyond the mailing list see the Challenges. Each
Challenge should have a page (or a paragraph) explaining the need and
requirements.

> I've issued: the allocation pool and the easy I/O formatting
>stuff. It occurred to me that neither of these has been accepted
into boost.
>In fact, neither has been formally reviewed, AFAIK. Well, that sort
of puts
>the onus on me, don't you think?
>
>So, I propose that we formalize the challenge procedure a bit: the
>challenger should agree to review any relevant submissions in a
timely
>fashion, and to co-maintain an accepted submission with the author
if
>neccessary.

I think the actual Formal Review should be done via the regular
review process we are trying to get going. But yes, I think the
person issuing the challenge should be willing to take responsibility
for:

* Working with library submitters to make sure the challenge is
understood, and coaching them through the whole process if necessary.
 Helping the submitter decide when the library is ready for formal
review.

* Managing the Formal Review if no one else volunteers.

But notice this possibility; the person issuing the challenge becomes
so involved in refining a library submission that they in effect
become a co-author. If that happens, the challenger might be
suitable as a co-maintainer, but might not be the best person to
manage a review.

>Also, I promise to give both submissions a formal review by the end
of the
>week.

Well, if you think they are ready for review, I would like it if you
would get their authors to submit them, and then you sigh on as the
Review Manager for both.

It is pouring rain here. I will try to work out more details of the
review process today, and get Jens Maurer's random library review
going.

--Beman

-