From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-29 16:35:31

At 11:00 PM 5/26/00 +0200, Jens Maurer wrote:

>At the start of the year 2000, there was a suggestion
>for a stream_cast.
>
>I have now extensively used the concept (more precisely, a
>re-implementation of the concept) in some software which needs
>to do some partially structured text I/O. I would like to
>second Steve Cleary's idea to have an exception-throwing
>variant of stream_cast (naming suggestion: stream_cast_ex)
>so that conversion errors are not silently ignored.
>
>stream_cast is really useful.
>
>Can we please have it officially added?

We need to complete action on cast.hpp and the other libs currently
marked as "beta", and then close down the beta section.

I think that means doing two things:

1) Someone (Kevlin, Steve, Jens?) needs to provide the final code and
docs for stream_casts. Could I suggest stream_cast for the checked
version, and unchecked_stream_cast for the unchecked version? The
undecorated name should be the safest version.

2a) Remove implicit_cast entirely. Add a comment to the docs saying
to use static_cast.

2b) Replace implicit_cast with unchecked_numeric_cast. See Darin
Adler's http://www.egroups.com/message/boost/885

--Beman