From: jsiek_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-06-05 11:10:58

With regards to pthreads and a C++ MT API... it might be useful to
define the C++ API in such a way that pthread pointers could be used
as C++ thread objects without the need for wrapping them up in a
class. This is fairly easy to do if the API is defined in terms of
normal functions instead of members. Just create the appropriate
overloads for pthread_t* etc.

I've found this approach really improves the convenience of C/C++
interoperability. For example, with GGCL you can pass a a pointer to
Stanford GraphBase graph (a C struct) as is into a GGCL algorithm.

Beman Dawes writes:
> There is already an ISO standard that covers multithreading (ISO/IEC
> 9945:1-1996 POSIX). We ought to explore the possibility of basing
> our work at least partially on that standard. (Background: ISO is
> unlikely to approve any new C++ standard for multithreading that
> totally ignores another ISO standard for multithreading, particularly
> one that includes a C language API.)

Cheers,

Jeremy