From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-06-05 14:13:08

At 01:12 PM 6/5/00 -0500, jsiek_at_[hidden] wrote:

>It seems to me that having all these operations
>(read/write/add/test&set/exchange) is a bit overkill.

Listen to Jeremy! He is wise way beyond his years! Or maybe go back
and read Brooks' "Second-System Effect" essay in "the mythical
man-month". The measure of this design won't be how many features
can be added, but rather how many can be removed.

> What's wrong
>with just a plain old mutex (with lock/unlock).

Good question. Don't most of the guard issues John identified go away
with a classic pthreads or similar mutex?

--Beman