From: mwa_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-06-07 08:50:53

Aha! Thanks for helping me with my basic reading skills :-) (sorry! my
excuse is that _every_ day is a long day).

I agree that we should drop Event, unless there is a pressing efficiency
reason on some platforms (i.e. an event can be implemented in such a
fashion as to offer considerable efficiency benefits over a gate).

One thing that noone has mentioned is process/task related issues. You
can, on Win32 for example, implement synchronization primitives that are
fine within process, but will break out-of-process. I am assuming that
all of the semantic guarantees made so far relate to in-process
concurrency (and may, but not necessarily, extend out-of-process). To
what extent do we care about this?

Matthew Adams

---
Development Manager