From: scleary_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-06-07 09:06:30

> One thing that noone has mentioned is process/task related issues. You
> can, on Win32 for example, implement synchronization primitives that are
> fine within process, but will break out-of-process. I am assuming that
> all of the semantic guarantees made so far relate to in-process
> concurrency (and may, but not necessarily, extend out-of-process).

The semantic guarantees scale seamlessly to process synchronization. Just
allow each object to have a name.

About 1 1/2 years ago, I began playing with this dimension of the
synchronization game. There are thread-level sync. primitives and
process-level sync. primitives. I actually wanted to go further -
synchronize processes running on different computers on a network --
essentially, computer-level sync. primitives.

The semantic guarantees will also extend to computer synchronization
primitives -- if we add another name, the computer name. On that computer a
"synchronization server" daemon/service will be running that provides the
computer-level synchronization primitives. I actually had a simple form of
this running at one time.

Let's not look at this for now -- we're going to have a hard enough time
with thread/process level! But keep this avenue open for future expansion.
As distributed systems become more common, something like this may need to
develop.

        -Steve