From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-06-10 22:39:33

From: "John Maddock" <John_Maddock_at_[hidden]>

> Dave,
>
> >1. What exactly do you get on compilers that don't support partial
> specialization? Are there restrictions on how you may use call_traits in
> that context which don't apply on more capable compilers? E.g., does "If T
> is a reference type, then call_traits is defined such that references to
> references do not occur. " apply?<
>
> You always get const T& (not much else you can do here)

I realize from looking at the code that this is the case, but it doesn't
directly answer my questions above (it takes some significant thought to
figure out the answers, and I'm still not sure I have the answers right),
and it doesn't change the fact that there is a hole in the documentation. I
believe the docs give assurances that don't actually apply on all compilers.
I want to know how I can use call_traits to write portable code (even
portable to broken compilers). This information should be made explicit.

-Dave