From: Thomas Matelich (sosedada_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-06-19 11:07:52

Beman Dawes wrote:

> I have been thinking about the issue of boost libraries working with
> various compilers from a slightly different perspective.
>
> It would be good practice for me to run a regression test covering as
> many boost libraries and as many compilers as possible before
> updating the web site with modified libraries. Perhaps automatically
> generate an HTML table for the web site with current compiler
> results.

<snip>

> What would really be a help is if you (or other members) could come
> up with a test harness design to solve the n*m problem.

As I Have been using boost with sub-standard compilers, I've been forced to
hack the code on various occasions. What I would like to see is for the
libraries to use something like CppUnit
(www.xprogramming.com/software.htm). Unit tests would provide both
verification that your changes haven't broken the software and well written
tests provide example uses. The downside is that it isn't very
cross-platform at the moment, but I'm going to be working on that in the
near future. Just a thought.

--
Thomas O Matelich
Senior Software Designer