From: Mark Rodgers (mark.rodgers_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-06-29 14:42:06

> I still favor my own suggestion - lexical_cast. interpret_cast is spelled
> way too much like reinterpret_cast, with which it has little in common.
> Also, lexical_cast is shorter ;)

I like it! :-)

I don't like stream_cast because it tells us more about the implementation
than the purpose.

I don't really like interpret_cast for similar reasons to yours. Although
I can understand and accept the reasoning behind it, it is too much like
reinterpret_cast, and could thus cause confusion. Not to mention the fact
that a simple grep for it will pick up any reinterpret_casts too (not that
we have any of those of course :-).

But lexical_cast, now that tells me that the cast is being done to/from/via
the character representation. Perfect.

Mark