From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-05 07:51:53

We are trying to set up a SourceForge/CVS repository for boost source code.

Trips to the dentist are much more fun:-(

The problem is that while SourceForge does have a browser based CVS
interface for reading, developers who need write access have to use other,
non-http, Internet protocols. That means a lot of downloading, installing,
and learning to use software which so far seems all rough edges and no
smooth spots. Documentation is a major stumbling block; it turns out that
the docs on the SourceForge web site are just plain wrong about some of the
key points. I have the feeling that most SourceForge users learned by
being taught by other users or by downloading and reading reams of source
code. Sigh.

On the other hand, the CVS concept itself seems sound. The problem CVS
solves seems exactly the problem boost has. The CVS commit model seems at
first glance more appropriate that the lock/unlock model of the original
RCS systems.

WinCVS and MacCVS are the GUI versions of CVS for those of us who don't
want to do version control via a command line interface. WinCVS (and
presumably MacCVS) seem fairly easy to use, and ran right away for me in
local mode (as opposed to using SourceForge as a server).

--Beman