From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-07 06:15:19

Dave,

>call_traits in particular can be used AFAIK to write code that runs on
>platforms without partial specialization but runs more efficiently on
>platforms with partial specialization. I have asked the author to confirm
>this and put it in the documentation, or to deny it... but neither has
>occurred so I might be wrong ;)

The rewritten docs are in the vault, and have been for a while, and do make
it quite clear (I hope!) what is supported on given compilers along with
copious usage examples - I did ask for feedback on these but none has been
forthcoming so far - want to take it on before Beman applies the updates to
boost?

>Anyway, it would be a shame if we made it unusable in this way by adding
the
>#error directive below.

The main problem is call_traits_test.cpp which tests the "extended"
call_traits functionality that VC6 doesn't support, I'll add an #error to
this to indicate that.

This leads on to another question - with respect to unit-tests, and the
boost compiler compatability pages, how should we report libraries that are
partially supported. A typical example would be type_traits_test.cpp: all
compilers fail some of the tests (as far as I know), they just don't all
fail the same tests :-( How should this be reported?

- John.