From: Reid Sweatman (borderland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-13 13:48:05

> The speed of light (in a vacuum) is now "exact". In 1983 the meter was
> redefined in terms of the speed of light: c = 2.99792458e+08 m/s (by
> definition).

Sounds a bit circular to me <g>. Besides which, the speed of light depends
on a number of other quantities that are subject to both experimental and
quantum error. As you can tell, I'm one of those people who wishes Star
Trek would quit slinging words like Tachyon around in a way that makes it
clear they have no idea what they are. Uh, 'scuse me. Gotta go remodulate
the deflector array to emit a Tachyon beam; the neighbor's dog is digging up
my roses again <g>.

Reid Sweatman
Software Engineer