From: Thomas Plum (tplum_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-18 14:34:21

Tracking structure changes (renaming, changing dir structure, etc) has
been a problem with all the source control I've seen so far, and I've
used "roll-your-own" approaches in our small shop. But just now a
technique occurs to me ...

How about adding a new shell-script component at the top-level dir
named e.g. structure-changes.ksh , with this intended use: All the
component source files are maintained with their original names, and
their original place in the dir structure, but after extracting a
complete source set, the structure-changes.ksh script is executed,
which re-names, removes, moves, etc, as needed to produce the
"latest and greatest" product structure. One benefit comes for free ...
each structural change becomes an ordinary text-file change for the
source-control to track, along with all the other source-file changes.

At 08:50 PM 7/12/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Beman Dawes wrote:
>> If any one knows how to do the following on SourceForge, please let me
>> know:
>
>> * Remove all the modules with names in the form "failed*-test-do-not-use".
>> * Rename the module "boostcvs" to "boost".
>> * Remove the project CVS directories "boost" and "cvs".
>> * Rename the directory "boostcvs" to "boost".
>
>I cannot comment on SourceForge, but as far as CVS is concerned, these
>problems are outside of its scope. In real life, I would use "rm -rf"
>on the CVS repository as required, but SourceForge probably isolates
>you from that.
>
>Let me add that renaming files in CVS is usually a bad idea. If you
>"copy, delete the original and add the copy", the revision history
>is non-contiguous.

Thomas Plum Plum Hall Inc, 3 Waihona Box 44610, Kamuela HI 96743 USA
tplum_at_[hidden] TEL +1-808-882-1255 FAX +1-808-882-1556

http://www.PlumHall.com