From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-20 11:13:43

A third experimental program and associated header has been added to
http://www.egroups.com/files/boost/TMPX/

Scoped or shared ownership features were added in experiment 3 to make the
experiment more realistic. A separate header was added for the same
reason.

The changes (compared to experiment 2) to add these features were trivial
and had virtually no impact on code unrelated to the change itself.

Experiment3.hpp now has the bulk of the functionality found in
boost/smart_ptr.hpp, plus the ability to specify no delete or supply a user
delete function.

Because template metaprogramming encouraged factorization, experiment3.hpp
may actually be easier to read and understand that boost/smart_ptr.hpp. At
least if you understand the idioms.

In addition to meta_assert, the other need which turned up is the ability
to mix in non-member functions. Maybe C&E have a way to do that, I'll look
for it.

Documentation is going to be a challenge; I expect it may have to be
generated on demand too.

Comments?

--Beman