From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-24 13:48:32

David Abrahams wrote:

>Who has a proper build setup for running tests on boost with various
>compiler/stdlib combinations? I have been piggybacking off of a
gargantuan,
>disgusting make system we use for a project at work, but that's getting
>be much less practical as I try to push forward into more experimental
>territory. We need a solution for this! Suggestions?

I've been following Dave's discussion with Jeff Garland. I certainly agree
we need better tools, both for boost developers and for users who visit the
boost site and just want a simple download/install/build procedure.

On the other hand, difficult-to-use tools can get in your way. The
traditional "make" is certainly a prime example of that.

So please tell me when you find something that will be a real improvement
for boost, and the pain is minor in relation to the gain.

In the meantime, I will stick with the Python script I'm currently using
and try to expand it to cover a library build. It is totally
simple-minded, but it is a step forward from nothing, and very easy to
tweek. While in a technical sense it isn't portable, in a practical sense
it may actually be fairly portable as it is so simple to set up and modify.

(If you try to run it, do so in a temporary directory; it leaves the
current directory littered with compiler files. The output table is
cs.html. The log file is simply called log.)

--Beman