From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-25 16:04:14

David Abrahams wrote:

>BTW, I attended a Generic Programming conference with C&E in '98
>http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~musser/gp/dagstuhl/gpdag.html where they talked
>about
>generative programming. Most of it seemed to be a pile of buzzwords and
>excitement with little to back it up, but they did present a complete
lisp
>interpreter implemented at compile-time with C++ templates!

Not everybody needs to design reusable systems with a great deal of
variability. But for those that do, generative programming seems to have
some real benefits, including:

* Design techniques to deal with the variability, and without needing to
learn a complex methodology or use special design software.

* C++ implementation within the language (although certainly stretching
templates to the limit).

* Eases the use of highly variable features by specifying only desired
properties, and letting the generator do the rest of the configuration
work.

* Makes it easier to detect configuration errors (because of the ability to
deal with error detection in the generator rather than in the final
product.)

* Seems to be easy to learn and use. The book helps this a great deal.

--Beman