From: Howard Hinnant (hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-01 12:39:06

Daryle Walker wrote on 8/1/2000 1:05 PM
>My compiler, Metrowerks CodeWarrior Pro 5 for Mac OS (with 5.3 update),
>allows some types of member templates, but does not allow others. For
>instance I couldn't define a "template <typename T> operator T*() const"
>method for a class I tried to write. Could we add another #define in
>config.hpp for this type of compiler limitation (maybe
>BOOST_NO_TEMPLATE_MEMBER_OPERATORS, but I don't know the exact range of the
>limitation)?

This limitation will be lifted in Pro 6 (real soon now).

>On a related note, I noticed that there is one set of Metrowerks #define-s.
>Will the Windows and Mac OS versions of their compiler always have the same
>limitations, or did the original writer only consider the Windows version?
>I don't know what the differences are, if any. If there are important
>differences, I would like them expressed in config.hpp.

Although there are some minor differences between mac and windows
versions of CodeWarrior, it is usually stuff that you won't run into with
Boost. For example, the C++ compiler front end is the same on both
platforms, as is 99.9% of the C++ lib. Until a case comes up, a good
approximation to reality is to assume the mac and windows versions have
the same characteristics.

-Howard