From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-04 10:14:39

One of the occasional complaints about the boost mailing list (and lots of
other lists, too) is "message overload". Too many uninteresting
messages. The problem is that the definition of "uninteresting" is in the
eye of the beholder.

(Totally off-topic messages uninteresting to everyone are a separate
issue. eGroups gives us some tools to deal with these; we can ban a
particular poster, we can require moderation of the first posting from a
new member. Let me and Dave Abrahams know if you think we should be doing
so.)

One way to deal with message overload is to have separate mailing lists
for boost sub-topics. I don't want to do that for a bunch of reasons you
can probably anticipate.

Here is another suggestion: For messages on certain agreed upon topics,
always include a tag in the subject so that readers can filter those
messages automatically for special handling. Some email programs use the
term "rule" rather than "filter". Special handling might be to put the
message in a special folder or simply to trash it. A tag is simply an
agreed upon word unlikely to appear in message subjects on other topics.

For example, I've set up my email program to automatically place boost
messages with "thread" in the subject to an email folder called "Boost
Threads". That's because I'm interested and want to segregate and save
these messages, rather than the reverse.

Two topics which bore some readers are the CVS repository and fixing
libraries to work with broken compilers. So we might agree on including
CVS and CFIX (or similar) in the subject lines.

Is this a worth a try?

Any better ideas?

--Beman