From: Greg Colvin (greg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-04 14:16:46

From: William Kempf <sirwillard_at_[hidden]>
> Unfortunately, it looks like things are going to once again wind down
> on this subject with no real effort having been made. The few people
> that seem interested in starting *somewhere* don't get very far
> because of the people that first want clear definitions and what
> seems (to me) to be some grand new scheme for concurrent
> programming. This post is one such example that seems to me to want
> a silver bullet answer, so I'll start with it and move on to my other
> thoughts afterward.

I wan't asking for a silver bullet, just commenting that it is
arguable whether Java is an example of a successful thread
package. But I am currently debugging our implementation of that
package, and dealing with "bug" reports from customers with
deadlocked programs, so my opinion is biased.

I would be happy to see a thin, clean C++ wrapper for POSIX
standard threads. If it also works on Win32 so much the better.
If it was of high enough quality to be accepted as a C++ standard
that would best of all.

Greg Colvin greg_at_[hidden] gcolvin_at_[hidden]