From: Branko Èibej (branko.cibej_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-08 12:49:33

Kevlin Henney wrote:
> So, counting semaphores should be included in the first round of
> primitives? Or perhaps the second round?

Personally I've only ever used semaphores as a poor-man's replacement
for reader-writer locks. Mutexes and condition variables are much more
important (and spinlocks, but that's a bit over the edge, I guess).

> Also, where should we consider
> atomic ops (not spec'd in POSIX), such as increment and decrement, in
> the priority list?

Atomic ops are good for reference counting and building more complex
synchronization objects, but I don't think they should be exposed
in the public interface. They're even harder to use safely than
mutexes.

   Brane

--
Branko Èibej                 <branko.cibej_at_[hidden]>
HERMES SoftLab, Litijska 51, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia