From: Dietmar Kuehl (dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-08 17:59:18

Hi,
Jeff Paquette (paquette at mediaone.net) wrote:
> And as for the other thread discussion...is boost's goal to write
> a library that would be implemented for each platform that supports
> threading, thus supplying a sorely-needed portable interface or to
> write a threading library that would implement a scheduler as well as
> the locking primitives?

This somewhat depends on whom you ask :-) My personal view is that
we define interfaces to be implemented on various platforms. Whether
this implementation uses available threads or implements a whole own
threading library is up to the implementer. I would expect that Boost
offers version eg. using pthreads, Windows threads, whatever is used an
Macs, and maybe a homegrown "poor mans" threading library. Still, all
implementations would use the same interface, allowing for portable
multi threading code, used eg. by the Boost components.

That's at least the idea. Lets see what we can turn into reality...

=====
<mailto:dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden]>
<http://www.dietmar-kuehl.de/>