From: Lois Goldthwaite (loisg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-09 06:48:05

One library vendor advertises that its container classes are 'MT-hot,' meaning
that every operation is internally synchronized to make multi-threaded
programming transparent. The problem with this approach is that often you need
to hold a lock over several operations which make up a complete transaction,
which must be executed all or nothing. (Think about transferring money between
several bank accounts -- a single debit without the corresponding credit really
messes things up.) The need to provide transaction-level locking is why some
programmer control is needed.

Even in Java, a function can synchronize on a specific object or on a class, in
addition to the synchronized functions which are more common (they just
synchronize on 'this'). If you're careful, you can reduce the period of time an
object is locked to a few instructions instead of the whole function, to
increase throughput.

Having said that, IMHO a lock object which releases the lock when it goes out
of scope is definitely the superior way to handle this. Java can't use this
approach because it doesn't have proper destructors, but then it doesn't have
lock objects either (the synchronized section of code is put into a { } block).

I would be very wary of allowing mutexes and other synchronization objects to
be copied. The point of the mutex is that it provides a single point of
protection for a single resource. If you make a copy of a mutex that some other
thread has locked, the other thread won't know to release your copy in addition
to the original.

Lois