From: scleary_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-08-09 07:43:57

> // Creates a new mutex. If a name is specified the mutex
> // will be created in such a way that it's sharable between
> // processes. Should the sharable functionality be included?
> // Today this would require support from the platform, and
> // if the language were to adopt it it could be complicated
> // to include this on all platforms. However, the platforms
> // I'm familiar with would allow for this and it's almost an
> // essential quality for some constructs.
> mutex(char* name=0);

I think multithread mutexes and multiprocess mutexes should be completely
different classes. I also think we should approach this from a Generative
Programming point of view: the user/library requests of a Generator a
"mutex" that has certain features, e.g.:
  Recursion is optional,
  Must have timed waits,
  etc.
and the Generator will find/generate the necessary implementations.

        -Steve