From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-09 10:48:35

In message <20000809155449.7867.qmail_at_[hidden]>, Dietmar
Kuehl <dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden]> writes
>--- Kevlin Henney <kevlin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>[lots on a generic approach]
>
>This is basically what I was looking for all the time. The only reason
>to write up this thin wrapper to pthreads was to show that pthreads do
>no impose any restriction on whatever interface we choose with respect
>to thread creation.

Yes, I'd agree, esp as pthreads represent many of the common concepts.
If we can come up with a model that is easily implementable on top of
pthreads and Win32 I think that covers the most common requirement.
There are threading models out there that are completely alien and would
not work easily (Mucos, IIRC, has something that is fairly unwrappable
in this respect).

>> I'm happy to work out a strawman doc based on this idea and building
>> on Dietmar's definition's doc, if anyone's interested.
>
>I would greately appreciate if I wouldn't be required to write
>everything :-) However, I can offer support on this, be it in form of
>ideas with respect to requirements, reviews, htmlization of text, etc.

That's cool. I'm out of the country from first thing Friday for a week,
and probably out of email reach. I guess the bright side of that is that
I will have more time to work on the doc :->

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  Curbralan Ltd mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  kevlin_at_[hidden] fax: +44 870 052 2289