From: Reid Sweatman (borderland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-11 18:18:49

I follow the Platonic School of Ideal Forms. That's why I swear at my
compiler so much <g>. Okay, I may not be remembering your most recent
example post for your mutex exactly, but wouldn't it make more sense to have
lock() return a Boolean? Or are you arguing that even if it did, some
people wouldn't bother to check its value? In that case, I guess an
exception makes sense. Are you using a throw decoration, or just letting
the exception trigger unexpected()? If the latter, I think I'd want a way
to remove the exception from release code, since you'd basically be using it
as a way of spotting bad thread usage. Why pay the performance penalty if
you've wrung all the bugs causing the mutex exceptions out in QA?

BTW, I apologize if I've misremembered your code and its intent; I read and
killed it earlier.

Reid Sweatman