From: Dietmar Kuehl (dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-21 16:03:23

Hi,

> However, to make headway in the near term I think we should also
> fully develop the more primitive synchronization mechanisms.

I disagree: We need to know what tools we want before even thinking
about how to implement them. Thinking about synchronization primitives
does not help in developing high level tools: Why would I want to
think about the tires while looking into the general design of a
supersonic airplane. Sure, once the higher level design is more or less
fixed I also need to think about the realization and I should not
forget to give thorough thought to the details, like eg. the tires...

Since there is already a thread going on about the primitives, it may
be reasonable to bring this to a reasonable state. However, this should
not give the impression that we are done once we got some primitives
ready. In fact, those primitives are fairly likely to be nothing more
than just the tools used for the realization of appropriate higher
level
concepts.

=====
<mailto:dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden]>