From: Dietmar Kuehl (dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-21 17:07:42

Hi,
--- Karl Nelson <kenelson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Very true. I could provide a "strstream to stringstring" wrapper
> though that will suffer from rather poor performance in some areas.
> It would at least reduce the number of problems in making the
> code work between gcc and rest of world.

Unless you need support for wide character streams you can simply use
<ftp://ftp.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/pub/algo/personal/kuehl/sstream.tgz>:
This simply extends the library currently shipping with gcc by string
streams. Other alternatives are of course to require a standard library
for which there are four alternatives:

- libstdc++-v3 although it is not yet completed
- STLport which produced a bunch of errors when run with my testsuite
- CXXRT which is also not complete but works for most things
- Dinkumware, at least available for Linux. However, this one is a
  commercial library.

Using the simple code mentioned above is probably the approach with
least impact. The code is *not* a wrapper to 'strstream' and should be
fairly efficient for most applications. However, I haven't profiled and
optimized it: It is just a version I hacked from the CXXRT version (the
current CXXRT version is rather different thought...).

=====
<mailto:dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden]>
<http://www.dietmar-kuehl.de/>