From: William Kempf (sirwillard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-22 10:51:33

--- In boost_at_[hidden], Levente Farkas <lfarkas_at_m...> wrote:
> William Kempf wrote:
> > The good thing is that Intel already has a drop in compiler for
> > VisualStudio. Maybe they'll reach standards conformance with out
MS
> > and programmers will switch in large enough numbers to drive the
> > point home to them. Better yet, the .NET initiative by MS will
allow
> > any language vendor to integrate with VisualStudio so the door
will
> > be open to even more vendors. In any event, with VC++ 7 it may be
> > time for programmers to leave MS in droves to convince them that
they
> > must follow standards conformance!
>
> the problem is if you have devstudio you already paid for msvc++
and a compiler
> itself (like intel's one), even it's much better, not enough.

Point taken. Buying VS and then a third part C++ compiler to work
within it won't make much difference to MS, will it?

> the other problem
> is the standard c++ library. even if you use intel's compiler you
still you
> ms's c++ lib (which is another nightmare).

It's not MS's lib, it's Dinkumware's. The lib shipped with VC++ 6
won't be the one shipped with VC++ 7. I've not used the latest
Dinkumware lib to know how conformant it is, but I would guess it's
as conformant as possible given compiler limitations (and since
Dinkumware no longer targets only VC++, hopefully that means fewer
such limitations). In any event, the library is the least of the
concerns, since there are (free) alternatives.