From: wb_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-08-22 14:40:47

<jsiek_at_[hidden]> wrote on Tue Aug 22 13:06:14 2000:
<snip>
| What we really need is a common data
| base of code snippets that we can all contribute to. A number of C++
| libraries have collections of these code snippets that get run during
| configure (STLport, Blitz, MTL, GGCL, etc.), though there is no
| process in place for sharing this important resource.
<snip>

I am the maintainer of a package we named "ISOcxx" and which we term
the "portability package." It is, indeed, a collection of smallish
programs that are designed to probe a C++ environment and identify
areas of noncompliance ("defects") with the standard. Some of these
programs were adapted from those in some of the other packages named
above.

Further, to the extent possible, the package provides "compliance code"
intended to cure or at least ameliorate any defects discovered. At a
minimum, the package produces, as a result of its installation, a
header file intended to be #include'd in client code. This header file
identifies, via preprocessor symbols analogous to those used in other
packages, the status of each defect probed.

Part of what distinguishes this package from those in STLport, CLHEP,
Boost?, etc., is that defects, if any, are discovered dynamically while
installing the package. In contrast, to the best of my knowledge,
other packages hard-wire their knowledge of defects based on the
name/version/etc. of the compilation environment.

What interest might Boost have in looking over such a package for
purposes such as those articulated by J. Siek above?

        - WEB