From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-24 14:56:18

At 11:08 AM 8/24/2000 -0600, Greg Colvin wrote:

>Concurrent Pascal (Brinch Hansen's language) has both notify
>and notifyAll, but I don't recall whether they are restricted
>to being called in a monitor. Anyone have a reference manual?

No, but I've got the manual (dated November, 1980) for Edison, Brinch
Hansen's follow-on to Concurent Pascal.

Quoting from it, "Although the language does not include monitors, the
concept can be represented elegantly by a combination of simpler concepts
(modules, procedures, and when statements)..." and "The when statements are
a generalized variant of Hoare's conditional critical regions."

Edison was a very minimalist language; it also eliminated classes,
pointers, and numerous other familiar constructs.

--Beman