From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-26 06:09:02

Jeremy,

Just a couple more nits on the feature diagram....

Under "Owner priority" the options Priority Ceiling and Priority
Inheritance are not mutually exclusive - pthread mutexes will only enable
one or the other (as far as I can tell), but you can simulate the effect of
both with two mutexes. To put it another way, its logically possible to
have both, but the particular mutex type that we're using as a prototype
(pthread_mutex_t) doesn't support it.

There is one more feature, which is normally taken for granted: the
priority of a blocked thread. Normally this thread will be suspended by
the kernal, but there are some cases (think user mode spin locks) were this
does not occur. Whether you want to consider this under priority inversion
or separately I'll leave up to you...

- John.